90th anniversary celebrations are in store for MAUTO - the Italian National Motor Car Museum, which with its more than 200 original cars from 80 different makes illustrates the evolution of the car from a means of transport to a cult item.
The museum will be attending the Exhibition in Bologna from 26th to 29th October with 8 cars which tell the tale of motoring history.
The three previews are:
Ferrari 312 T5 Italia 1980: presented by the make from Maranello in 1980, the T5 version pursued the design philosophy of the series, conceived by engineer Forghieri, with a transversal gearbox (hence the abbreviation T). It was the epitome of the wing car in full Ferrari style: no monocoque chassis but instead the famous “dressed” tubular chassis, a transversal gearbox and the glorious 12-cylinder boxer engine, the last of its kind because the turbo era began thereafter. Enzo Ferrari donated it to Mauto on 28th April 1982, ten days before the fatal accident in Zolder in which the great driver Gilles Villeneuve lost his life.
Lancia Lambda Weymann Italia 1928: launched in 1922 with futuristic technical solutions - a narrow V engine, a body with a load-bearing structure, suspension with independent front wheels - it is considered to be Vincenzo Lancia’s masterpiece. Around 13 thousand “Lambdas” were built between 1922 and 1931. The car on display will be Vincenzo Lancia’s own personal vehicle with a saloon body with 4 doors and 6 seats, of the “Weymann” type.
Monaco Trossi Italia 1935: A race car featuring a revolutionary concept, designed by engineer Augusto Monaco and race driver Carlo Felice Trossi, who tested it in the Italian Grand Prix trials in Monza in 1935. The Monaco Trossi was brand new in every detail, but the most remarkable feature of this car was the power train: front-wheel drive and air-cooled radial engine. The car was difficult to tame even for a racing ace like Carlo Felice Trossi and did not pass the test stages so remained only a futuristic prototype.